FIRST SINCE WAR
Bovingdon’s Fine Horticultural Show
All present were fully agreed that the first show organised by the Bovingdon Horticultural Society since 1938 was up to the high standard set in the past and reflected the great amount of effort which had been expended by members in preparing for the event.
The show was held at the Memorial Hall, Bovingdon on Saturday. The entries which were confined to the members of the Horticultural Society numbered over 250 and were judged by Mr Avery and Mr Bedford, both of whom expressed the view that the quality of the exhibits was very high.
Besides the exhibition of produce and flowers there were numerous side shows in the adjacent school grounds which were well patronised and proved to be the source of much entertainment
Among the stall holders were: Mrs. Banks (tombola), Mrs Reid (bran-tub), Mr Brooks (darts), Mrs Ruby Davis (pony rides) and Mr Cooley (bowling for cockerels).
The prizes were presented by Mr Hugh D Aronson, Chairman of the Hemel Hempstead rural District Council, who also awarded certificates to winners of the ‘best kept gardens’ competition organised by the R.D.C. for council tenants.
R.D.C. Competition: 1 Mr Bradley; 2 Mr Cooley: 3 Mr Parsons. Certificates were awarded to Mr Hipgrave and Mr Welsh.
The Society’s cup for the most points was won by Mr Franklin, and the Yardborough -Bateson cup by Mr Cooley. The Crawley Cup for the best basket of flowers was won by Mr Franklin, and the Yarrow Cup for the best collection of Vegetables was awarded to Mrs Marriot.